A big reason we we chose July 1 to start our Whole30 journey was because we had a Junk boat party to attend on June 30th. All you can eat, all you can drink.
Junk boats are a popular excursion in Hong Kong. There are tons of companies to choose from and trips range from lunch trips, all day trips, night trips. There are water sports included on some, even on-board masseuse if you’re really lucky.
Our boat and crew just before boarding
The bad news, for us, is that when you binge before a cleanse you can potentially have a harder time detoxing. Both of us have suffered from digestion issues, sleepiness, I even had a slight rash on my stomach. But we are now almost the whole way through day 5 and no one has killed anyone yet. Which is great news considering its KILL EVERYTHING DAY.
Tonight’s dinner to keep everyone happy: beef and broccoli. I am going to is the sauté function on my Instant Pot and a side of mashed potatoes to keep us sane.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli:
Gluten free, Dairy free
- 1.5 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 2–3 crowns broccoli broken into florets
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Chopped green onions to garnish
- Turn instant pot onto “sauté” mode and add olive oil.
- Once oil is sizzling, sear sliced beef (about 30 seconds-1 minute on each side) in batches, ensuring not to overcrowd or over cooked.
- Add in the beef broth, ginger,minced garlic, coconut aminos, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Close the lid, and set to “sealing”
- Select manual and set the time for 10 minutes
- Once beef is done, add broccoli and press steam.
- Once done, do a quick release, and put the instant pot back into “sauté” mode
- Make a slurry of arrowroot flour and water. Add to beef and broccoli and continue stirring as the sauce thickenens
- Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions or additional red pepper flakes
This simplified recipe for hotel cooking turned out so good I didn’t even take a photo before we polished off every last bite. Next time. Because this one is definitely going into the rotation .