Or in our case on a plate. A plastic plate.
While we we’re staying in Okinawa, Japan last year I discovered chopped bags of onion, cabbage, carrots and bell peppers.
Japan is a great place to be if you want to eat healthy. The convenience stores are stocked with grab and go meals of seaweed wrapped rice, salads, sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, etc. Not the standard American style convenience store that consist of chips, chocolate, soda, alcohol and cigarettes. Sure you can find these things but they are not displayed front and center, to their credit, the healthy stuff is.
Each time we visit a new country I always scour the internet for recipes that are in line with what’s available in that particular location. While in Japan my Pinterest feed showed me a recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl. Perfect.
Whole30 reset is a perfect time to revisit this amazing dish.
The traditional recipe uses soy sauce which is off limits so I was pretty stoked to find a Whole30 friendly version in my quest to keep us well fed and happy. And it can be done in my Instant Pot using the sauté mode. I had to chop my own veg but even still this recipe comes together in less then 30 minutes.
2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
1 lb. beef
1 ½ cup sweet onion finely diced
1 cup carrots shredded
½ tsp ginger minced
3 cloves garlic crushed
¼ cup chicken broth
5 cups cabbage cut into ¼-inch shreds
2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. salt to taste
¼ tsp. pepper to taste
Toasted sesame seeds optional
Green onions optional
- Over medium heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add ground beef. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until beef is cooked through.
- Push beef to the side of the pan and add onion and other tablespoon of oil. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add shredded carrots, garlic, and ginger and saute for 2 minutes. Stir the vegetables and turkey together.
- Add chicken broth, cabbage, coconut aminos, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender crisp.
- Just before serving top with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Kevin absolutely loved the Egg Roll in a Bowl. ‘Put it in the rotation’.